About Eastons Cricket Club
H.A. (Taffy) GWYNNE C.H., editor of The Morning Post from 1911 to 1937, lived at Mawbyns in Little Easton and after the Countess of Warwick gave this ground to the village in 1930 he founded what became the Little Easton Cricket Club.
The Little Easton Cricket Club folded in the early sixties and it was not until 1975 that the club was reformed by a group of like minded cricket lovers who frequented The Swan pub at Great Easton. The club has grown to date and now has around 25 regularly playing members.
In 1989 the pavilion was rebuilt by the members, in particular Roger Rowland, who is a former Club President. The rebuilding was funded by the Club from proceeds raised from raffles, quiz nights, discos, barbeques and a memorable Club v Ladies match where the ladies were sponsored for runs scored. The club also has an all weather practice net.
The Eastons Cricket Club play friendly but competitive cricket in West Essex at the attractive recreation ground in Little Easton, near Great Dunmow. Most matches are within a 10 mile radius of Little Easton making the Club ideal for those players wanting to play local cricket.
The wicket is now one of the best in the area after spending a large sum of money to have it re-laid in the winter months of 2010/early 2011. The pitch is very well looked after by a group of volunteers who give up a few evenings a week to keep it in tip-top condition.
The club has a very good social interest with pre and post season dinners, regular fund raising nights and some of the members meeting at the pub at least once a week for a good drink. Golf lovers are catered for by the Eastons CC Golf Society and the club arranges a tour weekend once a year which consists of golf, two cricket matches and a curry which proves very popular.